PHCC believes that students of any age should have access to higher education and promotes the concept of lifelong learning. Encore Academy focuses on serving adults over the age of 50. This program offers learning opportunities in most academic areas, including those in college credit and technical credit programs, noncredit courses, and other selected monthly activities.
Several membership options are available. Benefits include:
- Twenty hours of special interest workshops. Subjects include beginning computers,email, drawing, photo fun, genealogy and more.
- Enrollment in any three-credit college or technical class per academic year on a space available basis. (Space availability is determined on the last day of the add/drop period each term.) Examples include psychology, golf, acting, drawing, music appreciation and philosophy. Encore Academy students not interested in college credit may elect to audit their chosen class, which means no grade or credit is given for the course. Classes may be taken on any of PHCC’s campus locations.*
- Open invitation to any free college event.
- Free college magazine.
- Free blood pressure screening—once per term.
- Admittance to member activities, which include socials and an annual December holiday gathering.
- PHCC library privileges (credit students only)
- PHCC student ID card which can be used for student discounts offered in the community.
* Option included with some memberships. Please see membership options.
All individuals, aged 50 or older, are eligible for membership. Spouses of eligible members have no age restrictions. Some Encore Academy workshops may be taken by non-members for a pro-rated fee.
Without a credit class
Fall or spring term - $99
Academic year (August - April) - $125
With a credit class
Fall or spring term - $125
Academic year (August - April) - $175
All membership fees are non-refundable once a term has begun. Members are not required to attend all activities; however, there is no proration of fees for members who do not attend events.
Members who take a college or technical credit course must complete a separate PHCC application for admission, if they have not already done so. However, the application fee will be waived for members. Applications for admission may be requested from the director of admissions and student records or from the Encore Academy office.
How do I apply?
Contact the academy office to have an application and schedule mailed to you. Mail or take the application with the application membership fee to the Encore Academy office on any campus.